This is from Walker Chandler and I see no reason to alter it, since I agree with it, and he says it so much better than I do:
Dear Friends and Fellow Pike Countians,
As all of you know, early voting on the SPLOST begins on February 15th and closes March 15th. I plan to vote for it and here are my reasons:
1. As against taxes and wasteful spending as I am, I think Pike needs to have the money a SPLOST will raise so as to be able to maintain its roads and restore its courthouse. Those expenses will be borne by property owners completely if SPLOST fails.
2. I seriously doubt if any Pike Countians shop in Pike to save 1% or if any non-countians shop in Pike to save that same 1% they might otherwise have spent in neighboring counties.
3. I think the problems with the courthouse's obsolescence must be dealt with right away before we are prevented from using it either by the State Fire Marshall or the Judiciary. Our local Superior Court judges have been warning us for years that a renovation must be carried out. Especially after the security horrors the state experienced with the Fulton County shootings, we cannot think they won't decide to order trials to be held elsewhere. I was a firefighter in Zebulon for 15 years and none of us thought we could have stopped a fire there if it got going good. It would be an absolute disaster if there were people upstairs and a fire was working where the only two stairways converge.
4. Our courthouse is the symbol of Pike County. It combines pride in our history and hope for our future--not to mention respect for ourselves and for those who appear before our courts and those--including jurors--who serve in them.
5. Similarly, at long last the Courthouse Square has been greatly upgraded due to the efforts of the Downtown Development Authority and the landowners who have invested in their buildings on the Square. We are developing and promoting a place ( and not just Zebulon but all of Pike County) where we can work, play, conduct business, dine out, and otherwise permit families to stay in our home county once they "get home from work".
5. Not to sound too much like whining socialists in Washington, but I think we owe it to the children not to bequeath them either public debt or crapped-out, used-up buildings. SPLOST is pay-as-you-go, but with a twist: out of countians help us pay. In the modern parlance, it's a no-brainer.
I guess I could go on, but I will say further only this: honest men may differ on what courses are the wisest, but they need not be bitter or vicious about their differences in public discussions of matters such as this, nor impute selfish or greedy motives to those who they oppose..
If you agree with me or if you are undecided, will you please forward this email to Pike residents?
And will you please go advance vote in favor of SPLOST?
Yours for Pike County,
Tell me what you like about Pike County, Georgia! Let's tell everyone!
I live in the best part of the biggest state east of the Mississippi river in the most generous and best country in the world. I really like my home and my neighbors. This blog celebrates that fact!
Let's get the word out! Just click on where it says "# comments" (where # is the number of comments) and use the comment form to tell me what YOU like about Pike County! Put your name in the comment. Bookmark this page!